Auckland, New Zealand based boat manufacturer, Rayglass Boats has won the prestigious Excellence in Exporting Award at the Auckland Chamber of Commerce’s Westpac Business Awards.
The award, which recognises Rayglass’s overall business performance, the number of countries to which it exports, the company’s sustainability and its relationships with end users in different markets, came after intensive interviews with key Rayglass staff and visits to Rayglass’s advanced manufacturing facility and showroom.
“The award also recognises the substantial hurdles which Rayglass has to overcome in order to successfully compete in international markets,” says Rayglass CEO, Dave Larsen. “We face challenges because of our geography, currency fluctuations and the often intense competition from competitors who are closer to our end users.”
To overcome those challenges, Rayglass has successfully adopted a number of very effective strategies.
- Exceeding “world’s best” manufacturing practice, with significant investment in quality management systems;
- Achieving incredible flexibility in manufacturing, allowing (for example) a number of different sterns to be fitted to each model, depending on which power option is selected;
- Continual R&D leading to innovative product and manufacturing practices;
- Customer-focused manufacturing and sales processes (including regular use of customer feedback and focus groups, resulting in a very high percentage of repeat and referred sales);
- Design excellence with minute attention to detail to ensure every vessel is both a superb performer and an attractive, stylish fashion statement
- Great performance and peer acknowledgement with Rayglass regularly performing ahead of budget even in flat markets (as at present); being a highly profitable, fast growing business that has, for the past 15 years, consistently won more prestigious Boat and Industry Awards than any other New Zealand boat manufacturer.
The company manufacturers and exports the very popular, multi-award winning Rayglass Legend series of trailerable powerboats and the internationally-renowned Rayglass Protector series of rigid inflatable boats (RIBs).
The highly regarded Protector series has already been exported to 27 countries in all parts of the world. They are currently being employed by Coastguard, military, customs, Police and patrol and rescue fleets in markets as diverse as the United States, Europe, Asia, Scandinavia and throughout the South Pacific.
Rayglass Protectors are also very popular as fast, luxurious tenders to multi-million dollar superyachts, as private pleasure craft and as support boats for major yachting campaigns (such as the America’s Cup where they have been chosen by holders Oracle USA and leading challengers Emirates Team New Zealand, Artemis and Softbank Japan).
Protector RIBs are also popular in the oil exploration industry, as first responder vessels and in a wide variety of commercial applications.
Based on the water’s edge in the Auckland, New Zealand, suburb of Mt Wellington, Rayglass employs over 60 people in three state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities and is one of New Zealand’s most successful marine businesses, both at home and internationally.
In addition to the internationally-respected Protector range of patrol, work and pleasure RIBs and the multi-award winning Legend series of 6-12 metre GRP powerboats, the company also manufactures and exports the highly innovative Pro-Jet (the world’s first commercially-manufactured PWC-powered RIB).
For more information, please contact:
Rayglass Boats Ltd
Phone: (09) 573-7979.
Caption for photograph:
Rayglass Boats CEO, Dave Larsen (left), is congratulated by sponsor Craig Sain, Ports of Auckland General Manager, Commercial Relationships, on winning the prestigious Excellence in Exporting Award at the Auckland Chamber of Commerce’s Westpac Business Awards.